The Dr. Oz Show medical staff chose the top most innovative, interesting and influential health headlines of 2012. Each day until the new year, we’ll round up and revisit the major headlines that had a profound effect on science, medicine and your health over the last 12 months.
Headline #2: New Law Restricts the Size of Available Soft Drinks in New York City
The City of New York’s Board of Health banned the sale of large-size sugary drinks at restaurants, delis, food carts and cafes. While some see it as an annoyance, this policy could spread to other major cities in the US.
Starting in early March of 2013, New Yorkers will not be able to purchase beverages larger than 16 ounces in the aforementioned venues. The “Soda Ban” would affect a range of sweetened beverages, including energy drinks, sweetened iced teas and non-diet soda. Drinks not affected by the new restrictions include fruit juices, dairy-based beverages like milkshakes, and alcoholic beverages. No-calorie diet sodas will also not be affected.
Health and diet regulations aren’t new to New Yorkers. Mayor Michael Bloomberg has also successfully passed bills that have banned public smoking in parks, beaches and pedestrian plazas; required NYC restaurants to publish calorie counts; and restricted the use of trans fats. This is the latest move by a mayor who has made multiple strides to make New York City healthier – a city where the life expectancy recently hit a record high of 80.9 years.
Read More of 2012’s Top Health Stories:
- Headline #3: Genetic Study Reveals Four Main Types of Breast Cancer, Suggests New Treatments
- Headline #4: Tainted Spinal Shots Cause a National Meningitis Outbreak
- Headline #5: Aspirin Reduces Risk of Cancer
- Headline #6 (Tie):Killer Energy Drinks & Manmade Body Parts
- Headline #7: Prominent Psychiatrist Retracts Research Article on Gay Reparative Therapy
- Headline #8: Marijuana Legal in Two US States After 2012 Election
- Headline #9: Bionic Leg Becomes Reality
- Headline #10: Stanford Study Questions Nutritional Value of Organic Foods
- Headline #11: Rosie O’Donnell’s Heart Attack & A New Diabetes Drug
- Headline #12: Are You Mom Enough?
- Headline #13: Treating Diabetes With Bariatric Surgery?
- Headline #14: FDA Confirms Alarming Levels of Arsenic in Our Rice
- Headline #15: Could Artificial Butter Flavoring Cause Alzheimer’s?