Having a fitness family can do a world of good. First, let’s start by explaining what does not constitute a fitness family. It could be your regular biological family but often it is not. If you are dragging these members kicking and screaming to join you for a morning walk, I am sorry but that doesn’t count. If these individuals invite you to meet them at the gym but never show or they often change their plans for Zumba or yoga, they aren’t likely to become a part of your fitness family either.
These organizational units are usually created organically. When you least expect it, someone appears on your morning walk for the second time in a row at the same time. Maybe you share a laugh in Zumba class or a smirk because you both avoid certain moves involving the pelvic area. Your fitness family forms exactly where you are. You meet them because they are heading your way or share the same club. You are striving for the same goals and you enjoy the same activities. Your fitness family can become a very supportive part of your life and help you achieve your wellness goals! Additionally, there are myriad benefits from being a part of a like-minded group! Here are the top five benefits of a fitness family.
- Accountability – We all need accountability in our lives. If you don’t show up, you are missed by those who expected you to be there. Getting a reminder text or a call helps everyone stay on track. A true fitness family will hold you accountable.
- Emotional support – Let’s face it, life is tough. We all experience ups and downs. When you know that people care about you, it can help lighten the burden. Fitness families offer emotional support. You see them often and they will notice if you aren’t your usual perky self. Let them give you a hug or meet up after tennis. A sympathetic ear is priceless.
- Synergy – The power of the group is greater than the sum of each of the individual parts, which is where the magic happens. You can accomplish all your goals when you work together as a group. Each person brings a unique energy and we all share in this sense of purpose. A fitness family challenges you and propels you to push your limits.
- Connection – Humans are created with an innate drive to connect with others. We all strive for a sense of belonging. A fitness family has a shared desire and motivation to care for one’s body. This generally leads to other connections: love for healthy food and self-care in other areas of our lives. A fitness family provides an arena where we belong and are accepted for who we are.
- Fun – Let’s just face it, most activities are better with a friend. A fitness family provides an avenue for a shared fun experience. Let your hair down and enjoy yourself!