Dark chocolate is a delicious indulgence that may even be good for some aspects of our health. A number of studies indicate that this bittersweet treat can be rich in several healthy compounds. Among these are flavonoids, which are a certain type of antioxidant found in plants. Unfortunately, the processing cacao goes through can reduce and destroy these compounds, making it important to stick to minimally processed dark chocolate containing at least 65% cacao. Because chocolate can also be high in sugar and saturated fats, it’s best to stick to one ounce a day.
Here are my favorite ways to enjoy dark chocolate.
1. Fondue-style. this is probably the coolest (and messiest) way to enjoy it but arguably the most scrumptious. What could be better than delicious dark chocolate? Warm, melted dark chocolate… over your favorite treats like bananas or strawberries.
2. Frozen dark chocolate. Simple , easy and neat to eat: Throw your fruits in a ice tray, melt dark chocolate in a bowl, pour over fruit, let sit for 15 minutes, then freeze in freezer for an hour.
3. Dark-chocolate-covered nuts. The choices are endless. Almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pistachios and even macadamia nuts.
4. Dark-chocolate protein smoothie! Add it to a protein smoothie with almond butter or peanut butter. This one is sure to please.
5. Plain dark chocolate. Enjoy it alone or with a pinch of sea salt. Sometimes you just need it all by itself.
Of course, this isn’t an exhaustive list for our decadent dessert. Hopefully, it is a start to get your taste buds watering and your creative juices flowing so that you find it easy to get your daily doses of dark chocolate. May you savor each and every morsel!