Every year there seems to be a new popular food that grabs the media’s attention as the new health craze that has special nutritional benefits. For some time, kale and avocado appeared to steal the spotlight. Well, one that seems to be showing up more and more in headlines is a type of algae which has become more popular as a snack, dried seaweed. Although definitely not yet a rockstar, seaweed can certainly hold its own as it’s a great snack food with many health benefits.
Here are five reasons seaweed is a great choice for a healthy snack.
- Seaweed is a type of algae that is full of vitamins. It contains vitamins A, B, C, D, and E. Each vitamin is beneficial for important bodily functions.
- Minerals are also abundant in seaweed. Each serving contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper, iron, and iodine. Each plays an essential role at the cellular level in the body.
- Fiber is found in seaweed. This substance is responsible for helping you feel fuller and helps lower bad cholesterol levels ( LDL).
- Seaweed is a low-calorie option. Most dried seaweed snacks come in small packets of thin sheets. Total calories for a pack are approximately 15. This is an extremely low-calorie option that can work for just about any diet as the snack usually contains only seaweed and a small amount of oil, like olive oil. It can fit into a vegan, low carb, paleo and low-calorie diet.
- Portability is everything. Dried seaweed comes in small individual snack packs that can be tossed in a lunch box or purse. It requires no preparation or refrigeration and is ready to eat.
So, what are you waiting for? Run out and grab a few packets and get to snacking today!