Now that I have your attention, it has come to my attention that a recent study concluded that married people are actually having less sex than they did 20 years ago. Once I got up off the floor from fainting after reading about this disturbing trend, I decided I needed to make it a point to pontificate on this horrible statistic and give you solid, scientific reasons why you should be making love more often.
First of all, lets just all come to grips with how, in the US, we have demonized sex for far too long. We have to remember that besides having babies, having sex is the most natural thing we can do. It’s one of the only things in the world that you don’t have to be taught to do. By no means am I advocating the haphazard novelty of sex, but between two consenting adults, there is nothing that can bond a couple more than intimacy. With that said, here’s your motivation:
- Sex can boost your immune system! A regular schedule of sexual intercourse increases the levels of certain immunglobulins, which makes your body better able to fight against illnesses.
- Sex can improve cardiovascular health! Studies show that men who have sex more than twice a week have a reduced risk of having a heart attack than men who had sex less than once a month.
- And sex can, in theory, make you live longer! When one has an orgasm, a hormone called dehydroepiandrosterone is released. This can increase immunity and also repairs tissue and keeps the skin healthy. A recent study illustrated that men who have at least two orgasms a week live longer than men who have sex just once every few weeks.
- We all know that sex can decrease stress. Not only will having sex improve your mood, but many studies have shown that people who indulge in regular bedroom activities can handle stress better and are generally happier people.
- With all of the press about how sleep makes you healthier and happier, it’s important to know that sexual intercourse helps you sleep better. The sleep that you get just after you’ve made love will be much more relaxed. Getting a good night’s sleep will make you feel alert and increase your overall health.
- If you have found yourself using a “headache” as an excuse to not make love, stop doing that. Have sex instead, because, when you’re about to have an orgasm, the level of the hormone oxytocin increases by five times. This endorphin actually reduces aches and pains.
- And, finally, if you hate going to the gym or following any organized fitness routine, regular sex helps keep your heart young and your muscles flexible. And it burns calories – so trying having sex 12 times this evening to burn off some of tonight’s dinner. Wink!
It’s time to get to work!