This week on Sharecare we’re giving you pointers to avoid getting a cold or the flu, helping you to stay limber and relaxed during your holiday travels, and filling you in on the latest news about HIV.
1. Taking to the air this holiday season? Fight the stiffness that comes with flying in a cramped seat with these simple yoga moves that can be done on an airplane – even in economy!
2. It’s that time of the year again – and we don’t mean Thanksgiving. ‘Tis the season for runny noses, hacking coughs and scratchy throats — but you don’t have to be the next victim. Protect yourself against cold and flu viruses with these virus-busting tips.
3. If you or a loved one is living with rheumatoid arthritis, you’re familiar with the swollen, achy joints that come with the disease. But did you know that RA could also elevate your heart disease risk? Learn what you can do to protect your heart.
4. Strokes – a.k.a brain attacks – can be sudden and scary. But about 80% of strokes are preventable with little lifestyle changes that boost your health. Discover five easy ways to reduce your stroke risk.
5. News that actor Charlie Sheen has HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is making headlines. Here’s what you need to know about HIV, including how to prevent it, recognize symptoms and learn about treatment options for a long, healthy life.
This week on Sharecare we’re helping you compare different diet programs, sharing expert advice on how to talk with your kids about drug and alcohol use, and letting you know which “down-there” symptoms you should never ignore.
1. Join the National Night of Conversation on Thursday, November 19 and learn ways to tackle the tough topic of drugs and alcohol with your kids. It may not be an easy conversation, but it’ll be one you’ll be glad you had.
2. Herbal “Viagra” isn’t as natural as you may think. Learn why you shouldn’t trust these kinds of supplements and discover what you can do to avoid a trip to the ER.
3. Do you have icky “down-there” symptoms you’re too embarrassed to discuss with your OB/GYN? Constant bloating, vaginal discharge and abnormal bleeding are a few of the symptoms you won’t want to keep to yourself. Here’s why.
4. You’re ready to start exercising, eat right and finally get your weight under control. But with all those diet programs out there, it can be hard to know which ones are actually worth your time. Flip through these diet plans to see which may work best for you.
5. Tapeworms have crawled their way into the health headlines recently – but it’s not anything to panic (or be too grossed out!) about. Discover why tiny tapeworms are making big news lately, as well as six must-know facts about the parasites.
This week on Sharecare we’re filling you in on some important flu facts, helping you watch out for health hazards that can affect your grandchildren and letting you know which drugstore decongestant doesn’t work.
1. Thanksgiving is coming up and while you’re probably looking forward to all your favorite holiday dishes, you may be dreading the scale after the hefty meal. Find out how to cut some of the calories — but still enjoy the holidays — with these five smart food swaps.
2. Stuffy sinuses? You may want to avoid this OTC decongestant as a study shows it does very little — and in some cases nothing at all — to clear your clogged nose.
3. You may just shrug off that headache, but sometimes that seemingly benign pain may signal a stroke in your future. Learn to know when headaches can spell trouble.
4. Babysitting your grandchild is a great time for bonding and fun, but things can get scary if your little one gets hurt or sick. And while you’re probably not a rookie, it helps to be prepared. Here are 6 health problems that grandparents should keep on their radar.
5. You’re not immune to the flu — in fact, 5% to 20% of Americans get the flu each year — even though a vaccine exists for it. Get the 411 on this year’s flu predictions and what you need to know to stay well.
This week on Sharecare we’re helping you avoid heart trouble, filling you in on the dangers of processed meats and giving you the 411 on the latest hepatitis C news.
1. When it’s chilly, sometimes all you want to do is bundle up with a big blanket and a hearty meal. Unfortunately, many of our cold-weather favorites aren’t always the healthiest options. But you don’t have to give up comfort or taste: Try these healthy takes on some of the best comfort foods.
2. Road rage, the weather and even the sports you watch could cause you to have a heart attack. Discover what else can bring on a heart attack, as well as easy ways to keep your ticker strong.
3. Just because Halloween is behind us doesn’t mean pumpkins need to leave your porch — or your plate. Click through to learn about the health benefits of pumpkins and how to get your fill for the rest of the fall.
4. You probably know that bacon isn’t great for your overall health, but there’s even more bad news: The World Health Organization (WHO) issued a report labeling processed meats as “carcinogenic.” Learn more about the report and what it may mean for your diet.
5. Did you know that the deadliest infectious disease in the U.S. is hepatitis C? And if that’s not already alarming, hepatitis C rates and cases are on the rise — especially among baby boomers. Find out why and learn if you or a loved one should get screened.
This week on Sharecare we’re giving you a cold and flu cheat sheet, offering some smart budget strategies, letting you know about the new breast cancer screening recommendations and helping you steer clear of bad heart habits.
1. Psoriasis and eczema are similar conditions, but it can be hard to differentiate between the two. Look out for these four key differences that can help you tell them apart.
2. The American Cancer Society updated their breast screening guidelines, advising women with average risk to delay their routine screenings until age 45. Should women wait? Chief Medical Officer Keith Roach, MD, explains.
3. You know that bad habits like lack of exercise and poor eating habits can lead to a poor diagnosis for your heart health. But some cardiovascular dangers are less obvious than others. Click through to learn more about these hidden risks and how to avoid them.
4. Are your financial woes weighing you down? Don’t let chronic money worries make your stress and anxiety levels soar. Discover expert tips and advice to better manage your finances for a healthier you.
5. Flu season is always unpredictable — sometimes it’s a mild year and other times it can be brutal. Find out why it can fluctuate, plus learn how to treat symptoms of the flu and recognize complications that can be deadly.
This week on Sharecare we’re giving you advice to slash stubborn pounds, quizzing you on breast cancer myths and helping you strengthen your core for fewer injuries and a fitter body.
1. You’re eating healthy and exercising frequently, but for some reason the scale just won’t budge. Find out what you may be doing wrong — and get tips to fix these weight loss mistakes.
2. You’ve probably heard the urban legends that deodorant causes breast cancer or that a wire bra can up your risk, right? Take our quiz to see if you can spot these other breast cancer myths.
3. People with rheumatoid arthritis are more likely to miss work, skip social situations and suffer from psychological distress. Check out these cheap, easy ways to combat this problem.
4. Your core isn’t just restricted to your abs — it’s so much more than that. Try this simple sequence of yoga moves to strengthen and tone allover, from your shoulder and back muscles to your abs and butt.
5. Scared to take your shoes off in public because of stinky feet? Watch this video for three quick and easy fixes for foul foot odor.
This week on Sharecare we’re helping you keep your young athlete safe, sharing ways to boost your immune system during cold and flu season and giving you tips to protect yourself against painful psoriasis inflammation.
1. You know your child will get the occasional bumps and bruises playing their favorite sport, but do you know what to do when it’s something more serious? Find out how to treat sports-related injuries like heat stroke, sprains and concussions.
2. If you have psoriasis, the very idea of a flare-up — when symptoms suddenly worsen — can hang over you like a black cloud. Learn more about the risk factors and discover how you can avoid them for a flare-free you.
3. Your first line of defense against the flu is vaccination, but there are other things you can do to keep your immune system healthy. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz reveals four foods that can help keep nasty symptoms at bay this cold and flu season.
4. Suffering from athlete’s foot? Or maybe you’re dealing with nail fungus? No matter what your embarrassing foot problem is, discover easy sole solutions that can help relieve your discomfort.
5. The hustle and bustle of everyday life can leave you feeling worn out. Check out these calming yoga moves that can help you relax and breathe easier.
This week on Sharecare we’re giving you quick tips to help you manage your weight, offering ways to cope with exhaustion from psoriatic arthritis and helping you bounce back from embarrassing moments at the office and the gym.
1. Even the most dedicated exercise fiend has embarrassed him or herself while working out. Learn how to survive humiliating gym moments and prevent future mishaps.
2. With the hustle and bustle of everyday activities, it can be easy to forget things — especially how much you’re eating. Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen offer simple recall tools that can help put you back on track to achieving a healthy weight.
3. Psoriatic arthritis sufferers know that the condition can be painful — and exhausting. And while there’s no proven treatment for this fatigue, try these five tips that can put some pep in your step.
4. An average workday can turn into a nightmare if your body seems to turn against you. Whether it’s flaming bad breath or the sudden urge to pass gas in a meeting, find ways to deal with awkward body blunders and keep your reputation intact.
5. Are you overwhelmed? Too much stress doesn’t just impact your mood — it can also lead to a bad time in the bedroom. Watch this video to learn how it can affect sexual performance and desire.
This week on Sharecare we’re helping you take care of common skin conditions, explaining why you may want to take a break from platform high-heels (flats can be just as cute and way more comfy!) and giving you the lowdown on everything you need to know about a surprising disease.
1. Skin problems — even small ones — can be embarrassing. If you’re looking to ease your discomfort, check out these six common cosmetic concerns and get doctor-recommended tips on how to clear your skin.
2. Mitochondrial disease refers to hundreds of conditions — but the symptoms mimic a wide range of other conditions, making it tough to diagnose. Learn how to cut through the confusion about these mystifying disorders.
3. Some people with sleep issues have no problem falling asleep. It’s what they do in their sleep that’s problematic. Discover how you can put an end to these embarrassing sleep problems.
4. Ladies, you may love your favorite pair of heels, but your body may be crying out in agony. Find out more about injuries caused by high heels and how they can sometimes lead to long-term damage.
5. If you or a loved one lives with psoriasis, easing the physical symptoms is a top concern. But find out why taking care of your mental health should be just as important.
This week on Sharecare we’re helping you decipher your joint pain, filling you in on the latest salmonella outbreak and clueing you in on where to get the care you need when you’re sick.
1. Ever look in the mirror and notice you’ve put on a little weight or that your hair seems a bit thinner than it was yesterday? Maybe you’ve asked yourself, “Am I normal?” Check out some common problems and what they may mean for your health.
2. School is back in full swing. While that may mean more quiet time in the house, it can also mean more germs for your kids to bring back home. Whether you’re dealing with head lice, pink eye or even stinky gym clothes, discover these tips that can help.
3. Got a cucumber in the fridge? Before you slice it for your salad or sandwich, you may want to do some sleuthing to make sure it’s safe. Get the latest news on the national salmonella outbreak that’s tied to cucumbers imported from Mexico.
4. You know you have joint pain, but you may not know why. Could it potentially be osteoarthritis — or maybe psoriatic arthritis? Learn more to figure out what condition you may have, which can lead to better treatment.
5. When you’re not feeling well, the only thing you want to do is feel better. But it can be tough to know where to go to get the care you need. Use this cheat sheet to help you decide whether you need the emergency room, an urgent care clinic or to call your doctor.