Get Sharecare’s weekly roundup of health news and tips:
1. Summer’s right around the corner — which means so is bathing suit season. Click through our slideshow to get quick tips on how to shed those stubborn pounds.
2. If you spend time outdoors – and who doesn’t? – you may find yourself in contact with ticks. Get the 411 on symptoms to watch for if you’re bitten by a tick – plus ways to avoid these woodsy critters.
3. Good vision is crucial for a child’s education and development, but up to 60% of school vision screenings can miss kids with eye problems. Here’s how to spot whether your child has trouble seeing clearly.
4. A new study shows that one-third of Americans with high LDL cholesterol do nothing to treat it. If you fall into that category, these simple lifestyle tweaks can help get your cholesterol levels into the healthy range.
5. Arthritis in the hands and wrists can make the simplest everyday activities challenging. If you or a loved one suffers from arthritis, these five hand exercises can help ease aches and improve range of motion.
Stay on top of the latest health news with this week’s stories from Sharecare.com:
1. Americans spend a large chunk of their time at work, but just because it’s a familiar environment doesn’t mean it’s hazard-free. Whether eyestrain from long days on the computer or back problems from slipping on a wet floor in the break room, take precaution with these tips.
2. When you think of lung cancer, do you automatically assume that smoking is the cause? While that’s understandable, up to 20% of people with lung cancer are nonsmokers. Discover four things that can cause the disease that aren’t smoking-related – and how you can avoid them.
3. You’ve heard the healthy-eating-spiel for weight loss a million times before, but bet you haven’t heard that a good diet can slash your risk of rheumatoid arthritis. Discover how, plus which foods to put on your grocery list – and which to ditch.
4. Kids love coloring but, believe it or not, that same fun past time can work wonders for your health, too. Here are four reasons to pick up those crayons.
5. While the primary use of activity trackers may be to help users get in shape, that’s not all these wearable devices can do. Find out how one man’s doctors used the Fitbit on his wrist to treat his heart problem more effectively.
Free Happy Woman Enjoying Nature. Outdoor. Freedom concept. Beauty Girl
Get Sharecare’s roundup of this week’s most popular health tips and news:
1. It’s that time of year again: The flowers are blooming — and so are your spring allergies. But you don’t have to suffer all season long. Check out these 6 ways to put the brakes on spring allergy symptoms — starting today.
2. Workaholics, listen up! From over-the-top stress and anxiety to increased risk of heart attack, your health may be taking a toll if you work long hours. Discover how else your health may suffer, and get tips to improve your work-life balance.
3. Trying to get those blood pressure numbers down — but not really sure where to start? We’ve got you covered. Find out how these 7 BP-friendly habits can help get hypertension under control.
4. Would you know what to do if a friend or loved one had a stroke? Would you know what to do if you were having one? Learn how to recognize the signs and get a doctor’s advice on fast-thinking moves that could save a life — including your own.
5. You already know which foods are unhealthy — but some are worse than others, especially if they contain one of these three ingredients. Darria Long Gillespie, MD, explains why — and how to suss them out on labels.
Find out what has Sharecare members buzzing this week:
1. If you’ve tried on your swimsuit lately (we have!) and are a bit concerned (um, yes) – here’s help: 8 delicious dinner recipes that are easy on the calories, easy on your waistline – and super easy to make.
2. Become a leaner, stronger you! Join this newbie-friendly, Strength Training Challenge with how-tos from celebrity trainer David Buer. You can even cut 13 days off your RealAge!
3. Ladies, did you know you could have worse complications following a heart attack than men? Discover more facts about heart attacks in women, plus ways to reduce your risk.
4. What can you do about puffy eyes? Try these quick fixes from a top derm doc and you’ll be out the door without the baggage in a flash.
5. Nobody likes to sweat – but it’s critical to our body’s ability to stay cool. Discover five down and dirty facts about sweat – what’s normal, what’s not, and what to do about it.
Learn how live your healthiest life with this week’s news and tips from Sharecare:
1. Did you know that drinking too much water could actually be bad for you? Or that sleeping in on weekends can increase your risk of certain diseases? Discover how these and other seemingly healthy habits could sabotage your health.
2. Here are six daily sex tips you won’t want to miss! In this boost-your-sex-life-challenge, sex therapist Ian Kerner, PhD, offers simple, creative ways to break out of a libido limbo.
3. Ladies, you’ve heard about the risk factors of breast, ovarian and cervical cancers – but this silent killer has taken over as the leading cause of cancer-related deaths for women. Find out what it is – and ways to lower your risk.
4. Are you ready to bag your outdoor workouts, thanks to pollen bringing on seasonal allergy symptoms? Discover what you can do to cut down on the itchy eyes and runny nose – and still enjoy exercising outside.
5. Feel like you have no time – or energy – to make a family dinner or pull together some healthy school snacks for the kids? A well-stocked pantry can come to the rescue in a pinch. Here are six essentials you can’t do without.
Check out the latest news and views on Sharecare this week:
1. Want to cut your sugar consumption? Check out Oz’s Sugar Detox Challenge. Daily tips will help you limit sugar and curb your cravings. At the end of three weeks, you won’t even miss the sweet stuff!
2. Perhaps you’ve seen, or even tried, online recipes to make your own baby formula. While it sounds like a cool concept, homemade baby formula can actually put your child in serious danger. Two health experts explain why.
3. Over 5.3 million Americans live with Alzheimer’s disease – but there are things you can do to help lower your risk. Discover which brain-boosting fruit to add to your diet for a healthier noggin.
4. While sweating can be a nuisance — not to mention embarrassing at times — it’s crucial to keep your body cool. Check out more sweat facts, from which foods can trigger sweat to whether antiperspirants really work.
5. There’s no doubt that spring is finally here — but are your dry, brittle nails still stuck in winter? Watch this video for a simple way to get rid of chipped nails — and grow them longer and stronger.
Don’t miss Sharecare’s latest wellness tips to help you and your family stay healthy:
1. Tame everyday tension with just one simple tip a day. You’ll feel relaxed and recharged — and even lower your RealAge by up to 13 days! Get started with our Stress Less Challenge.
2. Spring brings warm weather, longer days and – unfortunately – higher pollen counts. Watch this video to find out which food can help ease sneezing and sniffling this allergy season.
3. Research shows that distracted dining can lead to poor food choices and added pounds. Check out five ways to stop mindless eating and avoid calorie overload.
4. Feeling under the weather? While your first instinct may be to ask your doctor for an antibiotic, it may not put you on the path to good health. Discover six common illnesses when antibiotics are the right choice.
5. Immunotherapy – a new technique for treating cancer – has made a name for itself in the oncology world as the latest medical breakthrough. Here’s what you need to know about the therapy, plus why one expert touts it as the next level of oncology care.
Boost your wellbeing with Sharecare’s latest health tips:
1. From cubicle clutter to sweating the small stuff, some work habits can wreak havoc on your health. Find out which ones to avoid, plus learn ways to work smarter.
2. Tap into the motivation you need to shed winter flab and tone allover with our Get Fit Fast Challenge. Short, fun workout videos from our team of celebrity trainers will get you started!
3. Are you spending more cash than you’d like on face creams and anti-aging lotions? Save money and get smooth, supple skin with this food staple found right in your pantry.
4. Some “healthy” eating habits can interfere with weight loss or – even worse – make you gain weight. See if you’re making any of these six common diet mistakes — and learn how to fix them.
5. Lately, there’s been a lot of talk about how obesity doesn’t necessarily mean unhealthy. So what’s the deal? Your favorite doctors, Mehmet Oz, MD and Mike Roizen, MD, MD explain.
Check out a few of the highlights on Sharecare this week:
1. Headlines everywhere are talking about the connection between baby powder and ovarian cancer. So what gives — can talcum powder found in baby powder actually lead to ovarian cancer? Is baby powder safe to use? Get the answers to your questions.
2. The Zika virus has been dominating health news since 2015. Its risks and complications haven’t been fully understood – and scientists are just starting to get a firmer grip on the virus and its harmful effects. Here’s what you need to know right now.
3. If you’ve ever wanted to try yoga but fear you’re “not good at it,” put those worries aside. Anyone can do basic poses and gain the benefits. Reduce stress and boost flexibility with simple yoga stretches you can do from the comfort of your own home.
4. Doughnuts, muffins and store-bought pastries can be unhealthy calorie-bombs. Instead, try this delicious banana-chocolate chip muffin recipe — a healthier way to start the day.
5. The right way of treating a nosebleed, burn and other common injuries isn’t what it used to be. Be prepared: Find out if you’re making one of these eight first aid mistakes.
Here’s what has Sharecare members buzzing this week:
1. Some people are at higher risk for developing serious flu complications than others. Find out if you’re in the high-risk category, which symptoms to watch for and when to get emergency treatment.
2. Bogus skin creams, the rap against workaholics, the happiness myth. We debunk five common anti-aging misconceptions and offer advice on what really works.
3. What you eat in the kitchen may add sizzle to your sex life in the bedroom. Discover which foods Oz says rev libido for a spicier love life.
4. With all the different types of yoga to choose from, it can be hard to decide which may be best for you. Before you hit the mat, check out this simple guide to common yoga styles.
5. Who doesn’t love to warm up with a steaming bowl of chili on cold-winter nights? Find out why chili is so good for you, plus eight ways make it even healthier.