This week on Sharecare, we’re recognizing American Stroke Month by helping women understand risk factors, dishing on three delicious but healthy veggie burger recipes and teaching you how to identify potentially cancerous moles.
1. Did you know that women have higher odds of stroke in their lifetime than men? And while some risk factors can’t be controlled – such as race or age – there are things you can do to lower your chances of having one. Click through to find out your risk – as well as ways to prevent it.
2. If you’re looking to stay slim this bathing-suit season, you may have already slashed burgers from your diet list. But don’t give up on them just yet. Check out these three healthy veggie burgers that will satisfy any burger craving without upping your waistline.
3. Is that suspicious mole melanoma – or the less alarming basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma? Find out how to detect what could be a cancerous mole or lesion with this simple guide.
4. Are you and your hubby thinking about trying for a baby? You should start treating your body like it’s pregnant at least three months before conceiving. Discover 11 things you should do to get healthy before getting pregnant.
5. You know it’s important to stay in shape year-round, but it can be tough to deal with the heat from the summer months. Try cycling. It’s a fun workout option that can help you stay cool. Watch this video to learn how cycling for just five minutes a day can boost your fitness and even help with weight loss.
This week on Sharecare we’re giving you nine pointers to steer clear of sunscreen mistakes, giving you a behind-the-scenes look at the inner workings of an ER and filling you in on the bird flu — the latest virus making headlines.
1. You already know about the importance of sunscreen, but are you putting it on correctly? Check out these sunscreen mishaps — from not applying enough to skipping application on cloudy days — and expert tips to avoid them.
2. The emergency room can be a scary and confusing experience. Darria Long Gillespie, MD, puts your worries to rest and answers some of the most common questions about the ER.
3. The worst bird flu epidemic in U.S. history is happening now and everyone is taking about it. But is the H5N1 virus a threat to people? Find out if you should be worried and get tips to protect yourself.
4. May is Healthy Vision Month. Want to help your child see clearer? Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen offer tips to make sure your little one’s eyes are healthy, as well as what to do if your child has vision problems.
5. Chronic plaque psoriasis is no walk in the park. But if you live with the skin condition, flaking and inflammation might not be the only health issues. Learn what else you should keep an eye on.
This week on Sharecare we’re celebrating Nurses Week (May 6th – May 13th), helping you better manage your stress and giving you pointers to reduce psoriasis flare-ups.
1. Shedding those extra pounds isn’t just good for a slimmer figure — it may also help ease uncomfortable psoriasis symptoms. Discover how and get tips to revamp your weight loss efforts.
2. The devastating earthquake that hit Nepal in late April has killed more than 7,000 people and injured many more. David Kim, MD, an American doctor living in Nepal, describes the urgent medical needs, the potential spread of disease and ways you can help.
3. Nurses play a crucial role in helping us get — and stay — healthy. What drives their dedication? Find out what some amazing members from Sigma Theta Tau International nursing society had to say.
4. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring. Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen have the scoop on how this delicious vegetable can add some oomph to your diet.
5. Calling all Android users: Interested in getting FREE insights into your stress levels? Sharecare is launching an app research study and you’re invited to join.
This week on Sharecare we’re helping you take control of your stress, testing your health smarts and letting you know why you shouldn’t skip your vaccines — hint: it’s in your best interest.
1. Think you’re a whiz when it comes to random health info? Take our quiz to see how well you know these weird-but-true health facts.
2. Having trouble sleeping? You may occasionally down a drink or two to make you drowsy — but that may not have the desired effect. Find out why you should say no to nightcaps and what to do instead to catch the zzz’s you need.
3. Calling all Android users: Interested in getting a FREE look into the truth about your stress? Look no further. Sharecare is launching an app research study and you’re invited to join.
4. Vaccinations aren’t just for kids. They protect adults against serious and sometimes deadly germs that cause pneumonia, shingles, whooping cough and more. Find out which vaccines you need now and discover simple steps you can take to stay healthy.
5. Spring is in full swing — and so are your seasonal allergies. But that doesn’t mean you have to stay cooped up inside. Check out these natural treatments to relieve nasty allergy symptoms and start enjoying the nicer weather.
This week on Sharecare we’re dishing out the details on an easy way to better manage your stress, helping you brush up on your health at every age and filling you in on whether you should get a second opinion.
1. Calling all Android users: Interested in getting exclusive — and FREE — insights into your stress levels? Sharecare is launching an app research study and you’re invited to join. Sign up now.
2. Abdominal pain hits everyone at some point — whether it’s heartburn, cramps or last night’s seafood dinner. Learn what may be the culprit behind the aches — and tips on how to treat it.
3. Ladies, taking care of your body involves more than just a routine physical. Discover when you should get important medical tests and find out how to look and feel younger with our guide to women’s health in your 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond.
4. Actress Rita Wilson was diagnosed with breast cancer — and had a double mastectomy — because she got a second opinion. But should you always get one? Find out when it’s a good idea and how to consult with another doctor.
5. Food poisoning from listeria has been making headlines all year. With Blue Bell Creameries recently pulling all its products from shelves, you may be a little worried. Get the facts about listeria contamination in food and what you can do to protect yourself.
On Sharecare we’re helping you control your sweet tooth, sharing how to keep your love life alive and revealing why it pays to tell the truth at your doctor appointments.
1. A tasty treat here and there is fine, but overindulging in sweets can lead to a wider waistline and a number of health problems. Check out this video to create a plan to control cravings, and learn how to recognize foods with added sugars.
2. It’s easy to let your love life fizzle when you’re busy raising a family, but there are ways to keep the fire burning. Find out how with tips from sex therapist Ian Kerner.
3. Celery and carrots may be classic weight-loss foods, but you don’t have to sacrifice great taste for a slim waistline. Try these delicious fat-burning foods in addition to lots of fresh veggies.
4. Being completely honest with your physician about your habits may feel awkward, but it’s the only way to ensure that you get the care you need. Dr. Keith Roach shares the most common fibs people tell at the doctor’s office – and why it’s best to come clean.
5. Technology, work and stress can all lead to sleep disorders. Test your health IQ and see what you know about sound sleep – and how to get it – with our quiz.
On Sharecare we’re making your health a priority. Here’s a peek at some of our latest expert advice, from how to choose a new doctor to smart strategies for a flatter stomach.
1. Do you spend more time researching a new plumber than you do a new doctor? It may be time to change your focus. Darria Long Gillespie shares five questions you should ask when picking the perfect physician.
2. The itchy, uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptoms of psoriasis can seem unbearable, but relief is possible with the right treatment. Learn more about the powerful medications that target the root causes of psoriasis.
3. Spring isn’t just the time of blooming flowers and warmer weather – it’s also the beginning of swimsuit season. But you don’t have to hide in your cover up. Lose that extra flab and gain more confidence with these nine moves for a tighter middle.
4. Want to keep your vision sharp and peepers healthy for years to come? Discover ways to eat well for eye health, recognize important warning signs, treat common eye problems and more with our eye and vision health guide.
5. Spices not only make your food taste better, but certain spices have been found to improve your overall health, too. Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen reveal which spices are best to add to your meals and why.
On Sharecare we’re recognizing National Colon Cancer Awareness Month with screening tips, giving you pointers to boost your sex life and sharing yummy, healthy recipes perfect for any occasion.
1. The colonoscopy may be the best-known screening test for colon cancer, but it’s not the only option. Get the lowdown on several other tests you may want to discuss with your doctor and find out which is best for you.
2. Variety is the spice of life–including your love life. Check out this video from sex therapist Ian Kerner as he shares simple ways to heat things up between the sheets.
3. Want longer lashes but not sure how to get that effortless look? Learn quick tips to pump up the volume for thicker, fuller lashes from celebrity makeup artist Scarlett Rainer.
4. From creamy “gua-kale-mole” to spicy roasted pepper dip, these delectable recipes from Dr. Mark Hyman’s new book, The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet Cookbook, can double as sauces and salad dressings.
5. Suffering from joint pain but still trying to be active? Don’t let your aches hold you back. Try these gentle exercise options that can boost your fitness and flexibility.
On Sharecare we’re sharing tips for fresher breath, filling you in on a quick trick to reduce hypertension – a.k.a. high blood pressure – and revealing ways to avoid a salon visit mishap.
1. If you missed Chocolate-Covered Nuts Day on February 25th, don’t worry: This delicious treat is good for you all year. Grab a handful and discover what this crunchy snack can do for your health.
2. Want to avoid the embarrassment of bad breath? Keep your breath fresh all the time with these simple tips from Dr. Mehmet Oz.
3. Test your knowledge of the dangers that lurk in salons, from unsterilized beauty tools to products that can cause fungus. Plus, find out what you can do to minimize these health hazards.
4. If you live with high blood pressure, every little bit counts toward living a healthier lifestyle. Find out how sipping tea on a daily basis can help your hypertension numbers fall.
5. Looking to lower your stress level? It helps to know how it gets activated in the first place. Dr. Michael Roizen, author of This Is YOUR Do-Over, explains the cycle that sets us off – and his no-fail way to ease the tension.
This week on Sharecare we’re sharing advice from top cardiologists, giving you tension-soothing tips and helping you stay safe against the measles.
1. Life’s ups and downs don’t have to take a long-term health toll. Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Mike Roizen offer these strategies to manage your stress.
2. Not sure if you’ve received the measles vaccine? Learn what you can do to make sure you’re protected from this recent outbreak.
3. Get the 411 on what Sharecare’s best heart doctors recommend to keep your ticker in tip-top shape.
4. Need to tame your appetite? Watch this video to find out the three liquids that may help suppress your hunger.
5. If you’re struggling with a low libido, you owe it to yourself — and your partner — to find out why. Discover smart ways to open up about sexual issues with your loved one.