Who says you need a prescription for every problem? Sometimes a home remedy is all it takes for you to feel better. This week on Sharecare, we’re examining five kitchen-cabinet cures your great-grandma might have loved, for everything from aches and pains to coughs, colds and other irritating problems. With these non-medical solutions, you don’t have to say “ah” – but you just may say “ahhh.”
1. When a Cold Hits: There’s no cure for the common cold, but some common foods can cut down on the misery quotient. Darria Long Gillespie, MD, explains how to whip up a sweet-and-spicy sipper to soothe your sore throat and hacking cough.
2. If Arthritis Is Getting You Down: Achy joints? A bit of gin can help – and we don’t mean a card game. A bowl of raisins soaked in the potent potable just might help ease the pain of arthritis. Take our Home Remedies quiz to find out how to put this fix to the test.
3. For a Head That’s Hurting: If you’re prone to headaches, try a sweet-smelling solution. In this video, Mehmet Oz, MD, reveals a remedy that’s easy, affordable and natural.
4. When Inflammation Is a Problem: Many disorders are caused or made worse by inflammation (examples include heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease), but help is close at hand: Just reach for your spice rack. Yes, really! In this video, Mehmet Oz, MD, and Andrew Weil, MD, discuss a natural anti-inflammatory, as well as other delicious ways to calm inflammation from the inside out.
5. If Your Skin Is Unhappy: If you have a skin condition – like a rash, eczema, or even tough-to-treat psoriasis – head to your local health food store. Neurologist and ayurvedic medicine expert Kulreet Chaudhary, MD, describes how to use neem leaves, oil or paste for relief. For more help with skin conditions (and puffy eyes, nail fungus, gum disease and more) take our Home Remedies Quiz.