February is American Heart Month, so why not show your heart some extra love? According to the American Heart Association and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 700,000 Americans die from heart disease every year. Here are 5 tips that can help you beat the odds.
1. Visit the Heart Disease HQ: Take a look at Sharecare’s Heart Disease Center. You’ll learn tips such as the top six ways to prevent heart disease and the secrets to how a man’s heart differs from a woman’s.
2. Know Your Symptoms: When a heart attack strikes, every second counts. Heart attack symptoms can differ widely – especially between men and women. Brush up on the warning signs so you can help yourself or a loved one.
3. Pop Quiz: How much do you know about heart disease? Test your knowledge of the #1 killer of women in the US with the Sharecare Heart Smarts Quiz. Learn what your ideal blood pressure should be and how much exercise you should get to lower your risk of heart disease.
4. Be a WisePatient: Knowing what questions to ask at the doctor’s office can make a big difference when it comes to reducing your risk for heart disease. Samin Sharma, MD, a leading cardiologist at The Mount Sinai Medical Center, gives you all the tips you need to be informed at your next doctor’s visit in Sharecare’s WisePatient Video Series.
5. Find an Expert: Worried about your heart health? Sharecare can help you find a cardiologist in your area. You can also learn what questions you should ask your doctor about heart disease.